Olive oil chocolate cake
This cake is as light as air and delicious. You will need 3 bowls.
⅔ cup Juno Manzanillo extra virgin olive oil (plus a little more for greasing)
6 tablespoons good-quality cocoa powder (sifted)
½ cup boiling water
2 teaspoons best vanilla extract
125g plain flour or 1½ cups almond meal
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch of salt
1 cup caster sugar
3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a 22 or 23 cm spring form tin with a little oil and line the base with baking paper.
- In bowl ,1 sift the cocoa, whisk in the boiling water until smooth and velvety. Whisk in the vanilla extract and set aside to cool.
- In bowl 2, sift the flour or almond meal with the baking soda and a pinch of salt.
- In bowl 3, beat the sugar and eggs until aerated and creamy. Slowly beat in the olive oil making sure the mixture stays aerated. Turn the speed down and beat in bowl 1 , then slowly tip in bowl 2. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula and pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the sides are set and the centre looks slightly damp.
- Cool the cake in the tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes before easing it out. Serve as a dessert with raspberries and a dollop of mascarpone or as a cake with olive oil icing.