Chilled Summer Gazpacho Soup
700gms ripe, red tomatoes
10cm piece of telegraph cucumber, deseeded and peeled
2-3 spring onions peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed
½ red bell pepper deseeded and chopped
1 handful fresh basil
4 tablespoons Juno Picual extra virgin olive oil
1½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Skin tomatoes by placing in a bowl of boiling water for a minute or two until the skins loosen and slip off easily.
- Halve the peeled tomatoes, scoop out and discard the seeds. Place in a food processor along with all remaining ingredients.
- Blend everything at top speed until the soup is absolutely smooth.
- Taste to check the seasoning and pour the soup into a bowl. Stir in a little cold water to thin it slightly – anything from 150-275 ml – then cover the bowl with foil and chill thoroughly.
- Serve the soup with four ice cubes floating in it and garnish with small croutons of bread fried in olive oil until crisp, well drained and cooled.